Tips on Using the Internet Safely and Responsibly
The Internet has become an integral part of our daily routines, be it checking email, catching up with latest news, downloading music, watching videos, playing games, sharing our thoughts via blogs, or even socializing with people over the net. With every passing day, the widespread reach of Internet technology is expanding, but so is the number of menacing elements over the Internet.
What is Internet Safety?
The Internet might, perhaps, be the most extensive resource for information, but it is also a place with numerous threats and dangers. Internet safety is a concept that promotes safe web browsing without falling prey to scams and getting caught in scandals.
Fraudulent People Who Abuse the Internet
While you are browsing the net, there are some types of people that you will have to be wary of. These are people waiting for you to divulge personal information, so they can take over your identity, or people who will try to con you into parting with your money. The list below mentions few such people.
Yes, people can hack your accounts, and once they have access to your account, they have control over all your transactions, and can misuse your account for illegal or objectionable purposes. In case hackers manage to hack your bank accounts, or other accounts that have important financial details, you could be virtually robbed as well.
Online scams asking you to provide important information and then misusing it, are a huge menace over the Internet. Generally, these scams attract people by sending out fake emails saying that you have won a prize, or you have been selected as the lucky winner of some contest.
Phishing is the activity wherein people fraudulently acquire sensitive information by posing as a trustworthy entity via email or instant messaging.
Although spam emails are relatively harmless, they can fill up your inbox and be a constant source of irritating and unwanted advertising. Spammers can also pass on your address and phone number, and bombard you with telemarketing calls and snail mail as well.
The Internet is no longer safe, especially for children, with the presence of countless pedophiles hunting for easy victims. They could trap children via chat, webcams, and even bully them into meeting in person.
Pornography Website Owners
Internet pornography is a major threat for people who frequently keep on posting their pictures and videos over the Internet. Make sure you do not upload your pictures and videos on unreliable sites that do not provide you any privacy guarantees. Misuse of photos and videos in pornographic industry is a huge menace over the Internet.
How to Attain Internet Safety
- Safe Internet browsing is the first and most important rule when it comes to users using the World Wide Web. Maintaining maximum anonymity is always the safest option while browsing the Internet or chatting.
- Do not give out your address, telephone number, credit card number, social security number, passwords, or even your complete name as long as it is not compulsory.
- Do not allow strangers access to your web camera, and even while chatting with strangers via instant messenger, try to block suspicious users.
- While shopping on the Internet, make sure you select a reliable website. Avoid shopping on websites that you have never heard of, or seem fishy to you even if they are offering attractive deals.
- Do not upload your photographs, videos, and your personal information on social networking websites, which do not have privacy settings.
- Avoid using an Internet café to carry out important transactions over the Internet.
- For a safe Internet browsing experience, equip your personal computer with filtering, anti-virus, and anti-spyware software, a firewall detector, and a pop-up blocker which will warn you and protect you against possible online perils.